Where will Cappy go?
Bill Shanks has the latest updates from Minor League Camp in Orlando where the situation is in a state of flux. Much has to be worked out in two weeks, and a lot of questions have to be answered. Inside - News on: Scott Thorman, Jose Capellan, Gonzalo Lopez.
The minor league situation is in a state of flux right now. A lot has to be worked out in two weeks. Most will have to wait until the major league roster is in place, but there are a lot of questions.
- If Nitkowski beats out Bong and Pratt in Atlanta, do both of those guys go into the Richmond rotation?
- If Hessman and Betemit don't make the Atlanta roster, what happens in Richmond? Ryan Jackson is in place to be the starting first baseman there? Does Hess (if he clears waivers) go play third and Betemit goes to short?
- DeWayne Wise, Damon Hollins, and Ryan Langerhans could be Richmond's starting outfield. Charles Thomas could be the backup. Kelly Johnson, Billy McCarthy, Adam Stern, and Cory Aldridge will be in the outfield in Greenville. That will be a pretty good starting infield in AA with Marte at third, Pena at short, Lewis at second, and Jurries at first.
- Rumor now has it that Scott Thorman could start the season in Myrtle Beach, but it has not been decided. If so, does Jurries start off in AA?
- Aaron Herr is going to start at third in Myrtle Beach. Gregor Blanco is also looking to go back to start off in Myrtle Beach.
- The rotations are all in a state of flux. If Pratt and Bong go back to Richmond, what's going to happen when Paul Byrd joins AAA for a rehab stint in April.
- Where will Cappellan go if he doesn't (which he probably won't) make the Atlanta roster? He'll probably go to AA and piggyback with another starter (maybe Brett Evert?). Meyer, Minor, McBride, Waters, Cappy, and Evert may be the rotation.
- Gonzalo Lopez is hurting again, so that may make the Myrtle Beach situation a little clearer. Davies, Lerew, Wright, Boyer, and maybe Digby in the rotation.
- Rome's rotation could shake out like this: Chuck James, Charlie Morton, Stephen Russell, Sean White, and Jo Jo Reyes. Kyle Bakker could join them eventually and piggy back.
- Danville's rotation looks great and it's March - four months before they start. Chris Vines, Paul Bacot, Luis Atilano, Matt Harrison, and Jake Stevens. Adam Stanley is also pushing for innings as well.
There are MANY scenarios that can take place here with our top four minor league affiliates. Again, it might take the major league situation to get worked out first before the minor league rosters take shape.